The Horseshoe crab is ancient; it is one of the most ancient living fossils on record. They are estimated to be at least 450 million years old. (That is before the dinosaurs!) They are truly animal ancestors and an ancestral race that dates to before history! They are probably the oldest living species on earth. They were widely used by First Nation tribes along the east coast of the United States. Their spiny tails were used as spears, their head shells used as a water vessel or scoop and they ate the flesh of the crab for sustenance. However they are not limited to the eastern coast of the United States. They can also be found in the Gulf of Mexico and South East Asia. In Japan, folklorists believe that when warriors die in battle they are reincarnated into Horseshoe crabs, their head shape being similar to a helmet worn by Japanese samurai.
Horseshoe crabs have pretty bad eye sight, though their optic cones are larger than humans and any other animal. They technically have 10 eyes to help them see at different stages of life. They are located in various parts of the body including the tail, head and by the mouth just to name a few. For this reason they can be used to aid in second sight, seeing in the darkness, and divination.
Horseshoe crabs do not have the clotting agent hemoglobin in their blood. Instead they have hemocyanin which contains copper and because of this they have blue blood. Humans have harvested the blood of this animal for medical purposes and research. Because of their blue blood, those of you that might work with the Chakra system may find value in working with this animal and the throat and 3rd eye chakras. The added blue color of the crabs blood also aligns with the magical purposes of divination and second sight.
The Horsehoe crab lays about 60,000 to 120,000 eggs. Many of these are eaten by birds and other prey before they are hatched. Again this brings us back to magic surrounding survival, beating the odds and even luck. It is an interesting fact that the Horseshoe crab resembles a horseshoe which is used traditionally in luck spells and charms. Likewise, the Horseshoe crab’s head can be used in this same way.
Their tails can be used as wands (I often use them for this reason) they can be used to direct energy, cast circles, or even "pierce" an enemy. While they are not necessarily aggressive animals and they do not sting, stepping on a raised tail will surely hurt! They are closely related to scorpions and therefore can be used in lesser spells of banishment. (If you need a good banishing ally try the shark!)
Horseshoe crabs eat just about anything and everything they can get their claws on from algae to worms and from clams to marine animals. They also molt and many of the skeletons found on the beach are actually molts, though often you will find a whole body. If you come across a still living Horseshoe crab who is stranded on shore, make sure to quickly bring it back to the water. Then perhaps, evaluate your own life and see if you are indeed "stuck" in any old pattern that may no longer be good for you. Make sure to "carry yourself” back to the water’s edge to free yourself from the sandy bonds of the land.
Their magic is all about survival, adaptation and evolution. They connect us to the ancient world that was untouched by humans, they speak of ancient waters and earth. They teach us how to wear armor as well as how to shield properly. They are excellent allies for survival and shielding. They align with the color blue of the 3rd eye chakra, the ocean, and second sight. They can teach us how to camouflage ourselves, and how to adapt. Their tails can be used to direct energy, create sigils in the sand as a passive form of protection.
Horseshoe Crab spell for Luck and Longevity
You will need:
- Horseshoe crab shell or photo
- Sacred space cleansed and clean
- A green candle
- Sea weed or a Luck/Longevity herb (Sea Lavender is a good choice here since it is an everlasting)
2) Place your Horseshoe crab in the center of your working space
3) Place your candle directly in front of the Crab
4) Carve your intent or sigils into the green candle and place it on the altar
5) Sprinkle your sea weed or herb in a circle around both the candle and crab
6) Light your candle and chant the words below till you are satisfied (7 times is a good amount and aligns with the seven seas)
7)When you are finished, focus your intent and blow over the crab with your breath giving the spell life
8) If you need added luck or for a longer period of time, use a larger green candle that can be burned over several days and make sure to repeat this process every morning/evening till the candle is completely burned down.
9) When the spell work is complete dispose of your old wax and gather up the sea weed and/or herb and bring it to the ocean and scatter it in the water. It is really important that ONLY the plant be scattered into the ocean. Putting the wax in the ocean is not helpful and very bad for our environment.
Horseshoe crab so old and wise
Turn my life away from demise
Bless me with Luck, Love, and Life
and protect me from demise and strife.
With the Blessings of the Seven Seas
This is my will So mote it be!